We have to learn from history especially our Youths so that we can detect mistakes, make corrections for improvement while planning ahead for the present and future” History is very good, it helps us to avoid the mistakes of the past for the good of the present and future generations.
Third World War can be avoided through God’s intervention. It is recalled that Corona Virus disease (COVID’19) is a World disease but not World War which started from 2019/2020 to date. There was another dangerous World disease that occurred in 1918 during the 1st World war and that was influenza.’
The First World War lasted for four years from 1914 to 1918. It was called the World War because most of the continents were involved in the war. When the war broke out in 1914 Europeans expected it to last only a few weeks
On one side were the following:
– British Common Wealth
– Romania and some other countries. These are called the Allies.
– On other side were:
– The Central powers of Germany.
– Austria (Hungary then).
It was a total war where all able- bodied men were called up to fight. The war was mainly fought in Europe. Both sides dug themselves into long lines of trenches. From there they launched attacks in an effort to break through the enemy lines.
Three factors that brought about the end of the 1st World War in favour of the Allies, that is; British Common Wealth, France, Belgium, Russia, Serbia, Japan, Italy, Rumania and some other countries:
– By 1917 the Allied Naval blockade of Germany had cut off the flow of food and supplies to Germany. “Hunger and Starvation resulting from food blockage is another strong weapon of war”.
– The entry of the U.S.A into the war in April 1917 on the side of the Allied greatly strengthened the Allied side.
– The effective use of new weapon-the tank enabled the Allied to break through the Germany lines in 1918.
The lost per day in the 1st World war was 5,509. The consequences of the 1st World war include;
– Some 10 million men were killed in direct action.
– Direct Economic loses alone were over 180 billion dollars.
– The Austrian and Turkish Empires were broken up and replaced by a smaller states.
– All the defeated countries were ruined while the victors apart from U.S.A were half bankrupt. Buildings destroyed included 1,500 schools, 1,200 churches, 377 public or government buildings, 1000 industrial plants and 246,000 other buildings.
The 2nd world War lasted for 6 years from 1939 to 1945. It was the most destructive and wide ranging war in history. The areas covered by the war ranged across Europe, Asia, Africa and vast area of the pacific. On one side were the Britain, France, the USSR, the U.S.A. and the 45 countries that fought with them were called the Allies.
TO BE CONTINUED…..