Last week the Anambra State Government of Prof Chukwuma Soludo announced a number of roads across the state which contracts for reconstructuring had been awarded.
The award of the contracts was obviously as a response to the cries of the citizenry who have been experiencing a raw deal as a result of the terrible condition of roads in the state
This comes after the Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC, declared Anambra the number 15 nation wide on the list of roads designated as death traps.
The State Sector Commander, Anambra FRSC, Mr Adeoye Irelewuyi, made the disclosure at the Flag off of the 2022 Ember Months Safety Campaign, organised in Awka, with the theme: “Speeding, Overloading and Unsafe Tyres to Arrive Alive”.
He said the campaign was targeted at mitigating casualty factors which included speeding, overloading, use of unsafe tyres, drunk driving, non-use of seat belts, among others.
He then disclosed that in a data released by the National Bureau of statistics, Anambra roads occupied the 15th position on the list of death trap roads in Nigeria and said that should not be allowed to continue.
That is why the announcement of the reconstruction of more roads by the Anambra State Government must have come as a huge relief to the people of the state.
We commend the Anambra State Government for seeing the need to prioritize road construction amid other pressing problems facing the administration. We urge that work commences on those roads soonest.
Below is the list of all roads awarded by the Anambra State Government as at Saturday, October 15, 2022
- Club (Abakaliki) Road (2.078km)
- Regina Caeli to Y Junction (1.173km)
- Millenium Industry – INEC – Ekwueme Square (1.762km)
- Unizik Temp Site – Okpuno – Isuaniocha Junction (6.847km)
- Chukwudifu Street (0.297km)
- PPSSC – NECO office Road (0.473km)
- Obodoukwu Road Obodo-Owerri Rd 5.77km
- Oguagu- Ik Onuorah-Anumudu-Mgbuka- Amazu-Owerri Rd -2.97km
- Edeh Road-School rd-Awalite – Ojoto-Owerri rd 1.48km
- School Rd- Umuobom Street-Ojoto Street Junction -0.58km
- Umuobom st (Ojoto st Junction-Adazi ani street- Owerri Rd- 0.77km
- Umenweke St (Obodoukwu Junction)-Umeojiakor st ( School Rd Junction)-0.58km
- Ojoto Junction-Anumudu (Mgbuka Amazu Junction)0.99km
- Uzii st- Mission st (Awaited Junction) 0.54km
- Anumudu street (Ik Onuorah Junction )- Gmi Rd- 0.38km
EKWULOBIA AND ENVIRONS
- Flyover At Ekwulobia Roundabout
- Nanka –Ekwulobia – Aguata Local Government Headquarters Road (2.0km)
- Ekwulobia – Oko road (0.825km)
- Ekwulobia – Isuofia road (1.125km)
- Isuofia to Nanka Road with spur to Nanka/Obi Adimorah Road (2.2km and 10.3m wide)
- Isu-Igbo River that is Isuofia – Ekwulobia Section of Ekwulobia – Nnobi Road – 600m stretch including 1.2km drainage
(Ancillary structures and facilities to be built around the Ekwulobia hub are, a bus terminal building, fuel station, security office building, fire station and other external works such as sewage treatment facilities, drainage, landscaping, etc.)
- Mmiata-Anam- Nzam Road (Second Phase) (with bridges, culverts, etc) – 11km
- Akpaka-Basilica Road, Onitsha – 7.79km
- Amansea-Ndukwuenu-Awa-Ufuma Road – 26. 4km
- Amansea-Awba-Ofemili – 26km
- Dredging of 500m of Mmili John River, culvert desilting and widening of water flow.
- Flood Control Work at Ogbunike/Ogidi section of Enugu-Onitsha Old Road.
- The construction of Oye Agu Abagana to Nimo Road with spur at Nimo road (5.12km and 10.3m wide)
- Chisco Park Section of Onitsha – Enugu Federal Highway at Onitsha as
- Major interventions on two sections of Amansea axis of the Enugu – Onitsha Old road.
- Intervention on Inland Doors axis of Nkpor-Umuoji road