By Ikeugonna Eleke
The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has spoken out over alleged movement of military hard ware to the Southeast by the Nigerian Army for Operation Python Dance 3, despite calls for the operation to be shelved.
A press release by the group signed by its spokesperson, Mr Emma Powerful, said the Nigerian Army had already started mobilizing military hardware to the Southeast.
The group said it was pained that despite the huge outcry and condemnation of any plan to hold a military operation after the event generated lots of death last year, the Army was paying deaf ears to the cries.
It added that what was particularly worrisome was that the military operation was coming at a time when the group had discovered mass graves in Abia State where bodies of its members killed during the operation Python Dance 2 were buried by soldiers.
Part of the report read, “Here we are today with Nigerian military once again poised to invade the Southeast to slaughter the weak and innocent in their annual Fulani genocidal ritual in the name of yet another ‘Operation Python Dance 3′.
“Armored tanks and machine guns of the caliphate have rolled into the peaceful Southeast to commence another round of state sanctioned slaughter and mayhem.’
IPOB blamed Ohanaeze Ndigbo and the Southeast governors for keeping quiet while another round of what it called ‘state sanctioned killings’ was about to commence.
It added that it was for those reasons that its resolve would not be dampened as it planned to hold a general strike on 14 September to protest and also honour its members who were killed during ‘Operation Python Dance 2’.
“This is coming at a time when more bodies of innocent victims of ‘Operation Python Dance 2’, killed last year by the Nigerian Army are being discovered in mass graves in Abia State; at a time when we are still burying those ‘Operation Python Dance 2’ killed and dumped in mass graves across Biafraland in September, 2017.
“No sane society or a people worth their salt will tolerate such brazen conquest and humiliation. What was once considered a reprehensible abomination in Igboland is now the norm. Mass death and destruction of Southeast and South South by the Nigerian Army, have become commonplace, and our senses have become numb to these atrocities.
“Southeast governors met on Sunday, 2nd September, 2018 for what we understand to be a crucial meeting. They rose from that gathering without uttering a word or issuing a statement of condemnation of ‘Operation Python Dance 3’ because they are part of it.
“They did nothing about the mass murder of their people in September, 2017 in Afaraukwu; they never uttered a word when our grand mothers were thoroughly humiliated. They don’t know what leadership means.
“The general strike called for on 14 September, 2018 is to express our anger and at the same time respect the memory of those killed, tortured and disappeared by the Buratai led Nigeria Army through ‘Operation Python Dance 2’ which occurred on the 14th of September 2017, in Isiama, Afaraukwu, Umuahia, Abia State.
“Our anger is also directed at Igbo politicians and Ohaneze Ndigbo in particular that conspired with the Fulani Islamic army of Nigeria to invade the home of our leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, with the sole intention of killing him and his parents,” the group said.