By Ikeugonna Eleke
A wild fire said to have emanated from a burning refuse bin close to Idemili South Local Government Secretariat, Ojoto, Tuesday, gutted offices in the secretariat complex.
Fides gathered from a source that the fire razed several important documents of the local government council in a few offices before it was contained.
The State Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, confirmed the incident through its spokesperson, ASC Edwin Okadigbo.
He said the fire started at about 2pm and preliminary investigation revealed that the fire started from a trash bin at a refuse dump site which was on fire, only for the harmattan breeze to extend it to the surrounding bushes, forcing it to go out of control.
He added that NSCDC Officers from Idemili South led by the Divisional Officer, Superintendent Ochie Paul, and some local government staff members who rushed to the scene, assisted in putting off the fire and stopping it from escalating to other surrounding buildings.
He added that no casualty was recorded, disclosing that the state Commandant of NSCDC, Comdt David Bille, had urged the public to be at alert and refrain from putting on fire near or inside the trash binto avoid future cases.
Tuesday’s incident was just one of series of fire incidents involving houses and petrol tankers since October last year in Anambra State.