By Chioma Nnagbo
Still on the snack issue, this week, we will be learning how to make sausage rolls.
Let me introduce you to the ingredients
300g plain flour
1 to 2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
300g of sausage
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 big stock cube
1 medium egg
Put the sausages in a bowl and use a blunt object eg a pestle to mash them up. Add the nutmeg, seasoning cube and any other condiment you desire into the bowl.
Stir well to mix the added ingredients with the mashed sausages. Using your hand blender, blend the sausages into a smooth paste and then set this aside.
1. Put the flour in a sizeable bowl; add the baking powder and salt. Mix these dry ingredients very well. (You really do not need a lot of salt for the sausage roll dough, most sausages contain a lot of salt already).
2. Use a tablespoon to scoop the margarine in small bits into the bowl of flour. The smaller you make the bits of butter, the easier it will be for you to rub them into the flour.
3. Use finger tips to rub the margarine into the flour till the mix becomes like crumbs.
4. Add cold water in bits and mix till a stiff ball of dough is formed. You only need a small quantity of water for this to happen.
Cover and allow to rest for 5mins
While you wait, get your oven ready for baking.
1. Set your oven to 170°C (~335°F) to preheat while you continue with the sausage roll.
2. Rub margarine on the insides of the oven tray, spray flour on it, pour out the excess flour and set aside. This is to prevent the undersides of the sausage rolls from burning or stricking to the tray during baking.
3. Break the egg, beat it and set aside, you will need it later.
Roll, Cut, Fill, Fold and Close
1. Roll out the dough to a 3mm thickness.
2. Use a blunt knife to make a rectangular cut on the rolled-out dough.
3. Remove the excess dough and rub the egg on the rectangular dough.
4. Scoop some sausage along the edge of the length of the rectangle. The thickness of the sausage should be such that you can comfortably fold the dough and still be left with an overlap.
5. Fold the dough as you would fold a mat.
6. Rest the folded roll on the excess dough to make a seal like you would with the flap of an envelope.
7. Cut the sausage roll to desired lengths.
8. Roll out more dough, cut, fill, fold, cut into desired lengths and place in the greased oven tray till all the dough is used.
9. Rub the egg on the sausage rolls. This gives them a golden-brown look when done.
10. Set the tray in the preheated oven and bake till the Sausage Rolls are golden brown. This should take approximately 40 minutes depending on the thickness of your dough and the type/heating capacity of your oven.
Follow this procedure and you will get the perfect sausage roll.
THE TASTE IS EVERYTHING.