…Says Environment not yet Safe
By Alexander Johnson Adejoh
The joy of parents and students following an earlier announcement that students would be returning to school has been dashed. This comes in the wake of a fresh announcement by the Federal Government, reversing its earlier decision to reopen schools amid the ravaging COVID-10 pandemic.
It was also announced that students would be withdrawn from sitting for the West African Senior School Certificate Examinations (WASSCE) scheduled for August 5 and September 5.
The examination was initially postponed indefinitely to check the spread of COVID-19.
Fides recalls that Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, Minister of State for Education, had earlier announced last Monday, July 5, that the West African Examinations Council (WAEC), had fixed the commencement of the examination for August 5.
Contrary to the announcement, Mallam Adamu Adamu, Minister of Education, while addressing state house correspondents at the end of the virtual Federal Executive Council, FEC, meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari, however disclosed that schools under the control of the Federal Government would not participate in the examination.
He also appealed to state governments who had agreed to reopen schools to reconsider the action due to the COVID-19 situation.
He said, ‘I appeal to state governments that have announced schools’ resumption to reconsider it. I think it’s not safe. Let’s protect our children first.’
Adamu also appealed to WAEC to reschedule the examination because of the pandemic.
Fides discovered that Nigeria had a total of 30, 249 COVID-19 cases with 684 deaths as of Wednesday evening.