EEDC Condoles Family of Woman,Daughter Electrocuted in Nnewi

By Ikeugonna Eleke

Enugu Electricity Distribution Company (EEDC) has condoled the family of a 56 year-old woman who was electrocuted last week in Nnewi alongside her daughter while in their shop.
Fides had reported that the woman and her daughter had been electrocuted after a high tension wire fell on the roof of her shop.

EEDC in a press statement made available to Fides in Awka by Emeka Eze, Head of Corporate Communication of the company, described the incident as unfortunate.

He said the Management of EEDC had equally conveyed its condolences to the family of the victims during a condolence visit to the family last week by representatives of the company led by the Head of Health, Safety & Environment, Engr. Francis Iwu.

‘This situation wouldn’t have occurred if people adhered to all the publicity and sensitization efforts by the company on the hazards of erecting structures, trading or carrying out business activities under the power line right of way.

‘In this very incident that occurred in Anambra, the victim put up a makeshift shop made of a metallic container, directly under the High Tension (HT) line, which was why the victims were caught up and electrocuted.

‘The fact is that we wouldn’t have lost these lives if they were not under the power line,’ Ezeh lamented.

He said the power line right of way was the mapped out corridor for distribution and transmission of power lines, warning that as a precautionary safety measure, those mandatory clearance levels were to be observed and adhered to by members of the public when putting up structures.

‘EEDC had issued a release advising her customers and the general public against putting up structures and carrying out business activities within the power line right of way.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*