Bianca, wife of former Biafra leader, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, and Popular musician and socialite, Charles Oputa, a.k.a Charly Boy, have made the list of members of a committee on Truth, Justice and Peace set up by Governor Chukwuma Soludo, with human rights advocate, Prof Chidi Odinkalu, as chairman.
This was contained in a press statement signed by Prof. Solo Osita Chukwulobelu, Secretary to the State Government (SSG), last Tuesday.
Anambra State Government Sets Up a Truth, Justice and Peace Committee.
The members of the Committee are:
- Professor Chidi Odinkalu-Chairman
- HE Amb. Bianca Ojukwu-Member/Secretary
- Dr. Joe Nwaorgu – member
- Dr. Udenta Udenta – member
- Dr. Uju Agomoh – member
- Rev. Fr (Msgr) Jerome Madueke – member
- Canon Dr. Okechukwu C. Obi-Okoye – member
- Mr. Charles Oputa (Charly Boy) – member
- Dr. John Out – member
- Mr. Ngozi Odumuko – member
- Ms Onyeka Onwenu – member
- Dr. Joe Abah – member
- Mr. Chukwuma Okpalaezeukwu – member
- Mr. Sam Egwuatu – member
- Prof. Joseph Ikechebelu – member
Fides gathered that the purposes of the Committee on Truth, Justice, and Peace are to seek a restorative justice approach for truth-telling or real facts, for the healing of the victims of violence; accounting for responsibility and accountability of the actors; conditional mercy for the repentant perpetrators; restitution for certain losses and rehabilitation of the perpetrators for the overall aim of restoration of peace and justice; as well as the promotion of development in Anambra State, and the region/Nigeria.
‘Given the cross-border nature of the conflict, the focus goes beyond Anambra, and possibly covers the entire Southeast,’ the release stated.
The terms of reference of the Committee include:
- To identify the remote and immediate causes of the agitations, restiveness, violence, and armed struggle in the South East since 1999.
- Document victims/circumstances of death, brutality and incarceration.
- Identify stakeholders and groups who have played critical roles in the agitations and conflicts, their roles, capabilities and demands.
- Address any other issue(s) that may be germane to unravelling the extent of the crisis and charting the roadmap for the future.
- Make recommendations for sustainable peace and security in Anambra State/Southeast.
The Committee, Fides gathered, will have a direct reporting line to the governor or his designee, and will be provided with administrative support. The Committee will also be free to draw up the methodology to accomplish its assignment.
The Committee is expected to conclude its work, not later than six months from its inauguration, with its preliminary report due, not later than two months after the sunset and the final report after 2 months of receiving feedback on the preliminary report from the government.
The Committee will be inaugurated on a date to be communicated to its members.
The formation of this committee may not be unconnected with the spate of insecurity ravaging the Southeast Zone which had prompted Gov Soludo to announce amnesty to those willing to surrender their weapons.