Anambra Police Attribute Death of 2 Unizik Students to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

By Ikeugonna Eleke

The Anambra State Police Command has attributed the death of two students of Nnamdi Azikiwe University whose corpses were found in a room last Sunday night to carbon monoxide poisoning.

The students, a male and female, were discovered in their room after their neighbours sensed an offensive stench coming from the room, only for the door to be forced open and their bodies discovered.

In a press release by the Anambra State Police Command’s spokesperson, DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, the command said a comprehensive investigation into the incident had been ordered, but also stated that preliminary investigation pointed to carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of use of a small power generating set which emitted smoke into the apartment.

Ikenga, in his press release, said that the Commissioner of Police, CP Echeng Echeng, last Monday spoke to the public on the dangers of carbon monoxide.

‘It’s a dangerous substance that is very toxic to health. This substance when inhaled can cause serious damage to the body and can lead to death. The substances mostly emanate from generators, water heaters, coal burning appliances or any gasoline powered engine,’ Echeng was quoted as saying.

He said the CP made the warning on discovering the two lifeless bodies in an apartment in Awka and that he had ordered a comprehensive investigation into the discovery.

‘Preliminary investigation reveals fumes from the generator were strongly perceived from the room when the door was forcefully opened by police officers that responded to the distress call. Meanwhile the recovered bodies were deposited at the morgue and no mark of violence was found on them.

‘However the command urges the general public, especially the generator users, to keep them away at a safe distance from the window or any place the fumes can penetrate into the house to avoid such poisonous fumes like carbon monoxide affecting the ventilation of the house,’ the CP said.